If You LOVE Your Pet – Keep Them Away From These!

Flowering plants are a wonderful addition to any garden; they can be quite beautiful but when it comes to our favourite animal’s safety, some of them are a potential threat.

This is our list of 10 common plants that are poisonous to cats and dogs.

1 Sago Palm, also known as coonti palm, cycad, zamia:
All parts of this plant are toxic to cats and dogs.  Signs your pet has ingested some of this plant are vomiting, bloody stool and, with prolonged ingestion, liver failure.

2 Lily aka as tigerlily, day lily, peace lily, easter lily:
Most of the plants in the lily family are toxic to animals.  All parts of the plant are poisonous and if your cat or dog has eaten any of this, you will notice a decreased lack of energy, loss of appetite, difficulty swallowing, vomiting, and in serious cases of poisoning severe kidney failure.

3 Hydrangea aka Hortensia, hills of snow, seven bar:
Toxic to dogs and cats, the leaves and flowers are toxic and can cause severe vomiting, and diarrhoea.

4 Daffodil aka narcissus, jonquil, paper white:
Cats and dogs love to dig!  And digging up daffodil bulbs can have serious repercussions if your pet decides to chew on these.  There will be vomiting and low blood pressure, diarrhoea, and if they ingest large amounts convulsions and tremors.

5 Philodendron aka cardatum, heartleaf:
Toxic to dogs and cats, they will display signs of irritation, intense burning and irritation of the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.

6 Azalea:
From the same family as rhododendrons, this is one of the prettiest flowering spring shrub.  
Toxins in the plant affect muscle and nerve function, and may cause vomiting, diarrhoea and excessive drooling.  At the extreme level your pet could fall into a coma and possibly die.

7 Oleander
Popular for its evergreen qualities and delicate, fragrant flowers, the leaves and flowers are extremely toxic and can cause severe vomiting, slow the heart rate and possibly even cause death.

8 Aloe.
Grown for its soothing ability for cuts, scrapes and sunburn, it’s not so soothing for cats and dogs.  Signs that your pet may have ingested aloe include depression, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhoea and tremors.

9 Tulips and Hyacinths.
Tissue irritation to the mouth and oesophagus, profuse drooling, vomiting and even diarrhoea are caused if your pet eats these plants or their bulbs.  The toxic principle of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs so make sure your dog isn’t digging up the bulbs in the garden.

10 Cyclamen.
The roots of this seasonal flowering plant are especially dangerous to pets.  Can cause increased salivation, vomiting and diarrhoea, and if the pet eats a large amount of the plants tubers, found at the root, they can have seizures and even death can occur.

If your pet is seen consuming any part of these plants, take your pet immediately to a veterinarian for medical care.  The sooner you take your pet in, the better and more efficiently they can treat the poisoning.


Decontamination (like inducing vomiting and giving binders like activated charcoal) are imperative in the early toxic stage, while aggressive intravenous fluid therapy, kidney function monitoring tests, and supportive care from a veterinarian, will greatly improve your pets outlook.

0 Response to If You LOVE Your Pet – Keep Them Away From These!

Post a Comment